Governing Body Committee Structure
Detailed below are the terms of reference for the Governing Body’s committee structure:-
Pupils, Staff and Operations Committee
- To ensure, as far as is practical, that Health and Safety issues are appropriately prioritised
- To determine whether sufficient funds are available for pay increments as recommended by the Headteacher
- In the light of the Headteacher Performance Management Group’s recommendations, to determine whether sufficient funds are available for increments
- To advise the Governing Body on priorities, including Health and Safety, for the maintenance and development of the school’s premises
- To oversee arrangements for repairs and maintenance
- To make recommendations on premises-related expenditure
- In consultation with the Headteacher, to oversee premises-related funding bids
- To oversee arrangements, including Health and Safety, for the use of school premises by outside users, subject to governing body policy
- To establish and keep under review a Building Development Plan
- To establish and keep under review an Accessibility plan
- Disposal of surplus and damaged equipment
- To oversee the appointment procedure for all staff
- To establish and review a Performance Management policy for all staff
- To oversee the process leading to staff reductions
- To keep under review staff work/life balance, working conditions and well-being, including the monitoring of absence
- To determine personnel related expenditure
- To oversee arrangements for educational visits, including the appointment of a named co-ordinator
- Operate the governing body arrangements for obtaining quotations and inviting tenders.
- To consider any appeal against a decision on pay grading or pay awards
- Consider matters of pupil welfare and make recommendations to the governing body.
- Recommend to the governing body a charging policy in consideration of the LA charging policy.
- Maintain an overview of ICT provision.
Strategic, Financial Planning and Audit Committee
- To consider the medium term financial strategy of the Academy (three year plan) and report to the Governing Body on the strategy and associated risks
- To consider the Academy’s Annual Budget and indicative funding prior to Governing Body approval especially financial priorities in the light of the Academy’s Development Plan. To alert the Governing Body to any matters of concern of risk
- To receive reports from the Responsible Officer, DfE and External Auditors and monitor the operation and effectiveness of financial procedures and systems to consider any risks or matters requiring attention and make recommendations in response to any audit findings
- To periodically monitor and review expenditure and income against the budget and to ensure compliance with DfE regulations
- To receive the annual accounts and Trustees report in accordance with the Companies Act and Charity Commission requirements prior to approval of the full Governing Body.
- To advise on and review the Academy’s Investment policy and to monitor investment performance on behalf of the Governing Body and the Trustees of the Edge Endowment Fund
- To ensure that the Academy operates within all approved financial policies
- To annually review charges and remissions policies
- To consider and advise the Governing Body on standards and other matters relating to the school’s curriculum and school management plan, including statutory requirements and the School Curriculum policy
- To advise on the priorities for the maintenance and development of the Academy’s premises
- To consider inspection reports, prepare action plans and monitor progress
- To oversee arrangements for individual Governors to take a leading role in specific areas of provision
- Discuss with the External Auditor the nature and scope of each forthcoming audit and to ensure that the auditor has the fullest co-operation of staff
- Review the effectiveness of the Trust’s internal control system established to ensure that the aims, objectives and key performance targets are achieved in the most economic and effective manner
- To recommend the appointment or reappointment of External Auditors
- To review the adequacy of the Trust’s insurance and business continuity arrangements
- To review arrangements for the detection of fraud and theft and ensure that arrangements are in place to safeguard the assets of the Trust
- To review and advise on risk management arrangements, including the assessment and mitigation of any new risks
- To establish and keep under review a building plan, accessibility plan and premises related funding bids
- Determine arrangements for the accounts and audit of the school fund.
- Determine insurance arrangements.
Hearings and Complaints Committee
- To make any determination to dismiss any member of staff
- To make any decisions under the Governing Body’s personnel procedures e.g. disciplinary, grievance, capability where the Headteacher is the subject of the action*
- To make any decisions relating to any member of staff other than the Headteacher, under the Governing Body’s personnel procedures (unless delegated to the Headteacher)
- To consider any complaints made in accordance with the Governing Body’s agreed Complaints Procedure
Staff Appeals Committee
- To consider any appeal against a decision to dismiss a member of staff made by the Hearings Committee
- To consider any appeal against a decision short of dismissal under the Governing Body’s personnel procedures e.g. disciplinary, grievance, capability
- To consider any appeal against selection for redundancy
Pupil Discipline Committee
- Consider the circumstances in which a pupil has been excluded and representations made by the parent as required by the School Standards and Framework Act 1998.
- Decide whether or not to uphold or reinstate any permanent or fixed term exclusion which exceeds 15 days in any one term or in other cases, where a review is requested by the parent/carer.
- Agree the admissions policy for the school each year, consulting appropriately on any changes.
- Apply the admissions criteria to applications for Year 7.
- Apply the admissions criteria to any in-year applications received, having regard to the Academy’s position as an Own Admissions Authority and the Governing Body’s decision to co-ordinate such applications internally.
- Operate in accordance with the terms of the 2012 School Admissions Code.
Staff Dismissal and Dismissal Appeals Committee
- Arising from application of the Governing Body’s agreed Redundancy Policy to consider representations in respect of any proposed dismissal and then, if necessary, any related appeal against redundancy.