Year 7 Induction
Year 7 Starting September 2017
A very warm welcome to The Fernwood School. We know it is a very important time for you and your child. It is the first step of your child’s future at The Fernwood School.
It is our priority to make sure your child settles quickly and feels happy in school and is motivated to learn.
Please encourage your child to make the most of all opportunities offered and we hope you will work closely with us for a positive start.
The following staff have an important role in helping your child settle quickly and happily into The Fernwood School.
Mrs Clay – Head of Year 7
Mrs Morrill – Assistant Head Teacher – Transition
Mr Grant – SENCO
There will be 210 students in your child’s year group. Students are taught in 8 mixed ability tutor groups.
We have students arriving from around many different Primary Schools in Nottinghamshire.
The transition includes:
- Visits by key staff to our 3 main Feeder Primaries-
Fernwood Junior, Middleton and Southwold.
- Contact being made with all schools of the students joining Fernwood. A variety of information is being collected and collated, including students’ levels of ability and any significant learning or medical needs.
- Meetings by Fernwood staff with year 6 class teachers, and very close liaison with the primary schools in order to transfer crucial information to support students in moving into Year 7.
Important Diary Dates
Wednesday 5 July 2017 & Thursday 6 July 2017
Year 6 Induction Days at The Fernwood School
The day starts at 8.25am and ends at 3.00pm
Students should wear their normal school uniform with trainers so they can take part in team
building activities in the PE department (see enclosed letter).
They must bring:
- A bag to carry their pencil case containing pens and pencils.
- A packed lunch. If students are eligible for free school meals, parents/carers must phone school and speak to Mrs Hopkinson (so that a lunch can be ordered).
Wednesday 5 July 2017 – Parents’/Carers’
6.30pm – 7.00pm Refreshments
7.00pm – 7.15pm Welcome – Mrs T Rees – Head Teacher
7.15pm – 8.00pm Tutor/Parent meeting
You will have the opportunity to meet with a variety of staff including the Head Teacher and her Senior Leadership Team; Head of Year 7 and your child’s tutor.
Uniform/PE Kit (please refer to the Uniform Policy)
Morleys School Outfitters
Academy School Uniform.co.uk (Just School Wear)
‘Pop Up’ shop at The Fernwood School on Thursday 27 July 2017 10am – 2pm
and Tuesday 22 August 2017 10am – 2pm
Further information can be found in the documents below;
Induction Pack Covering Letter June 2017
Induction Process 2017
Home School Partnership Agreement 2017
Provision of Private Instrumental Lessons 2017
Contract for Provision of Private Instrumental Lessons 2017
Data Protection Letter 2017
PE Induction 2017
PTA Leaflet 2017
Uniform Policy May 2017